Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Team Janine's 1st Loss

So, my friend Sarah B set up a tennis tournament at school. She even came up with an acronym and everything: ACE (Amateur Tennis Players Competing & Exercising). Basically people of all (or in my case none) abilities could sign up to play tennis and you were randomly paired with someone for doubles to compete in a round robin tournament. We started with 8 teams total, played 3 matches of 6 games each where the object was to win as many matches as possible. The top 4 teams after these matches, determined by total number of games won, advanced to the semi finals.

Well, I got randomly paired with Janine who competed at UVM on the varsity team. Needless to say, our abilities were a bit uneven, and my strategy was to returm the ball and pray they hit it back to Janine. I also began referring to us as "Team Janine." Oddly enough, my strategy worked as we were the top team going into the semi-finals.

Unfortunately we lost today, as we had to play a real match with best 2 out of 3 sets of 6 games. We lost 7-6 and 6-3. Luckly we didn't make it into a 3rd set with Nicole and Matty G because we played for the entire hour and twenty minute lunch break.

It's been great to be outside getting exercise during lunch, and I think my tennis may actually be improving. Of course I finally saw Janine play to her ability (she's been down playing her skills) for the 1st time today, and I have a long way to go!

No comments: