Friday, October 13, 2006

Farmer Dan & his Migrant Workers


Farmer Dan
Originally uploaded by jessriggs.
Moriah and I headed up to VT this past weekend to help Dan's parents harvest their grapes this year. They have a small vineyard that has been in operation for a few years now and every year they offer a bottle of wine to anyone who will help with the harvest.

A free bottle of wine & time with friends in VT was enough to get Moriah and I up there. I even dressed the part in overalls. Of course while the rest of us were doing the back breaking work of picking all the grapes, Dan just rode the tractor around and picked up full buckets to be weighed.

It was a beautiful day, and I loved spending time with UB & CJ, but I had NO idea I'd be doing such hard labor for 5 hours!

At least the bottle of white wine was quite tasty!

1 comment:

BS said...

My best friend in high school's dad was a farmer. He used to have his girls (4 daughters) come help harvest so they'd know just how back breaking that work is. I think that's where some of my weird issues with apple picking come from.