Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's A Small World After All

So, last night was Matt's DJ night at Rivergods. A new wave/ post punk night at a very chill venue in Cambridge conveniently located a few blocks from his apartment. He spun from 8-9, 10-11, and 12-12:30. I made it till just after midnight when I had to head out. A good group of my friends came out to enjoy some drinks along with the tunes and I think it was a pretty successful night.

Matt also had a good group of friends come out for it, most importantly his friend Rachel who has just moved from Albany to Boston (a transition he knows well). She arrived with the guy she is currently dating who, as chance may have it, is my ex's good friend from high school. Not Brian, but my ex from 4 years ago Mike. I tried to fight of the ghosts of ex past, but this guy kept offering up unsolicited information about Mike's business, his new girlfriend, and how they've moved in together. I tried to redirect conversation and insert some tidbits about how I am also doing well: dating a wonderful guy, about to finish graduate school, working at an amazing hospital, training for a triathlon, etc. He then started to pump me for information about Matt and I in order to report back to Mike. Yuck.

I am really glad that Mike is doing well, and has finally moved out of his parents' house. I know that I have moved on and have finally reached a place in my life where I feel truly happy, but the conversation last night through me back into a time when I was being rejected and struggling to find self-worth. Luckily I phoned Sara before walking home and going to bed, because I woke up fully refreshed and feeling quite confident that breaking things off with Mike and the rest of the decisions I've made in the last 4 years have led me down an amazing path. One that I am still excited to see where it goes!

No comments: