Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Perspective

I just evaluated a gentleman who recently had a fairly minor ankle surgery. He was very jovial upon introduction and while we went through his medical history that included and past bout with cancer that has metastasized to his lungs and around his heart. They have given him ~24 months, and he came off chemo to have his ankle operated on as he was having too much pain when he walked.

He told me all of this in good spirits and is excited to begin physical therapy with me as his main goal is to be able to return to walking with his wife. He is not particularly old, and says that he has come to terms with the prognosis, although he keeps an open mind to future experimental treatment options.

He will be working with me till next Friday when he can move to another therapist, although he is considering following me to the main hospital based on how things go over the next 13 days.

Meeting someone going through something like that, well, it just puts things in better perspective for me. I have my health, my family and my friends, and I am so appreciative of all 3!

No comments: