Thursday, March 15, 2007

Getting Bored?

Well, I think I am getting the hang of working in the Acute Care Unit because I am not really finding it too challenging this week. I know that they have been trying to keep my caseload simple and low so that I can get orientated, but I think it may be time to step it up a notch. I have to say that I do really like my patients, even the guy who sneaked booze into the hospital was surprisingly good to work with. The turnaround time is quick, however, so I only see people for 3-5 days before they either head home or to rehab. The whole point of acute care is get people up out of bed and moving around as independently as possible as quick as possible. Not a lot of patient follow up, so I really don't know how my patients end up doing in the long term. I think that is why I'd like working in a rehab hospital where you work with patients for weeks to months and get to help them make some significant progress.

I am already thinking about my year long clinical and have a list in mind: Spaulding Rehab Hospital, Rehab Institute of Chicago, University of Michigan, Portsmouth Regional, MGH, Newton-Wellesley, Faulkner, and Brigham and Women's. I have to work on my resume this month and then I'll be sending it out to these places to see where I am interviewing in May/June. Then I'll rank my choices while the hospitals ranks theirs, and then I'll be matched in July. I can't believe I am almost done!

No comments: