Thursday, November 02, 2006

Clinical Placement at Spaulding

I've been at Spaulding Rehab Hospital for 2 weeks now doing my neuro rotation on the brain injury floor. The first week was difficult as all my patients were younger than me: all in their late teens, early twenties. I talked to my advisor about it and apparently that is the demographic: males between the ages of 18 and 24. It's sad to see someone who was headed off to college one minute and then a freak accident caused them to loose it all. We have one patient now who has a poor prognosis and it is hard to look at all the pictures of him and his friends that he mom brought in, because he is no longer that guy in those pictures.

This is an area of PT that I applied to schools hoping to end up doing when I graduate. So far, I am really enjoying the work that I am doing, but I may have to develop a thicker skin if I'm going to go this route.

1 comment:

BS said...

Oh you never know. There's nothing like a head injury to bring two people together ;)

Seriously, I don't know how you're doing it. And I'm in awe that you CHOSE it.