Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Alumni Dinner Success!

I had this idea earlier in the year about having a group of recent MGH IHP alum come to the institute and talk to our class about their experiences. In undergrad I felt they were always having different speakers or various networking/ career building opportunities, and I thought it a shame that MGH didn't do something similar. So, what did I do? I asked for help from other students to help plan an alumni panel dinner here at the IHP. 5 students agreed that my idea was worth putting into action, and we were able to get 2 very enthusiastic alumni to agree to come.

There was a ton of planning for food, and other logistics and the typical last minute freaking out. I almost cancelled the event a week ago because I feared 2 alumni would not be enough. Boy was I wrong! They were very engaging and had great answers to our questions and suggestions on what we could do for career development.

I am now feeling very relieved and excited about it. Apparently the first year students want to keep this as something we do every semester. Perhaps in a couple of years I will be an alum at this semi-annual event!

No comments: