Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Project New Orleans!

After packing up all of my things and moving into my 4th apartment in a little over a year, I have made my way down to New Orleans for the rest of my Spring Break to volunteer with my friend Liat at Plan B. Plan B is a group that is currently working to supply people affected by Katrina with cheap, energy efficient transportation (i.e. bikes) so that they can still get around town.

Grey drove me past the area where all the water damaged cars are currently being stored and it was unbelievable. Hundreds of broken down vehicles piled beneath a major underpass, and I don't believe there is any intention right now to move them. There just isn't any room and there are higher priorities for the city. Wick's street alone only has a very places that you can even live in, and the fact that he got mail today was something to celebrate. Apparently most people haven't gotten any mail for weeks.

Tomorrow at 7am I will be headed to Plan B to find out how I am helping out. Liat & her sister Abbie are experienced bike mechanics and will probably be assigned tasks quickly. Jess on the other hand will need to be taught a thing or two... or be stuck unloading boxes or something. Either way, I'm helping out and that is what I came here to do. Well, that and spend time with the 2 best gay men ever!

No comments: